Note: This is a talking paper for a lesson I teach to Emerald Coast Writers. Don’t expect it to talk by itself. I do that in person. But the links below speak for themselves.
- What’s a platform? See my post on building your platform for an easy mnemonic.
- The hard road to sales without publisher support: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203554104577002230413747366.html
- Get a GFC, FB or Twitter ID, your passport to Blogger land because nobody pays attention to anonymous: http://www.blogger.com/profile/03067955594103356768
- Important blogs to follow (and comment, because lurking gets you zero supporters):
Author Nathan Bransford: http://blog.nathanbransford.com
Platform Building Campaign Author Rachael Harrie: http://rachaelharrie.blogspot.com
Reader/Reviewer’s blog: http://iamareadernotawriter.blogspot.com
Writer’s Digest Editor blogs: http://www.writersdigest.com
- Self-pub or traditional, fiction or non, find answers here http://annerallen.blogspot.com/2011/10/dueling-agent-advice-on-blogging-who-do.html http://annerallen.blogspot.com/2011/11/new-gatekeepers-how-to-query-book.htm http://wendylyoung.wordpress.com/2011/10/19/guest-post-how-to-double-your-sales/ http://www.rachellegardner.com/2011/10/novelists-stop-trying-to-brand-yourself/ http://jamee-rae-the-writer.newsvine.com/_news/2011/02/17/6074543-why-start-a-blog
- Other platform venues: FB, Google+, Linkedin, Tumblr, Goodreads, etc.
- Be positive, polite in posting and handling comments.
- Power of cross-promotion in 140 characters (proof is on line below the tweet):
- Power of timely news and warnings (things you wouldn’t know to ask): http://www.epublishabook.com/2011/11/02/the-dangers-of-royalties-on-net/http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/author-loses-royalties-from-5104-books
- Power in @followers? Either go for numbers: http://biozarre.com or try to build a quality following: http://www.derekhaines.ch
- Twitter basics: Use mention vs. DM to welcome followers, block & report spammers
Feel free to ask questions and leave comments because I know everything isn’t self-explanatory. I learned too many things the hard way and I would rather share my knowledge than let the same things happen to you. Thanks for visiting!