Reasons to buy this book
We knew our book had to stand out. It had to have that extra something that makes you want it and be impressed with it, so that you recommend it to others personally and in reviews. You need to feel your money was worth it. So why buy “Find the Cutes – Playtime?” Because it’s not a regular children’s book.
– It keeps you and your children entertained for hours.
– The illustrations look beautiful.
– It’s educational.
– It’s cute and funny.
What is “Find the Cutes – Playtime”?
Children are creative and have a huge imagination. In society today, despite all the technology and opportunities, the greatest happiness is often found in the home. Children give families that extra enthusiastic energy. “Find the Cutes – Playtime” is based on that concept. It sparks the imagination, stimulates dialogue without words, educates, entertains, and inspires.
What inspired you as an artist?
As a child, I was much intrigued by search books. I spent hours looking for the right characters and objects on every page. But I discovered there weren’t many different ones out there. Over the years, I developed a unique cartoon style that I was able to use for several companies and assignments. Together with my ideas and the concept of a search book, my wife and I came up with a search book and a fun family as the main characters. This is my wife and I.
Who are the Cutes?
The Cutes are a family. Their last name is “Cute” and all the kids’ names start with a “C”: Carissa, Chaz, Cade, Cammy, and Cindy. The story is based on the “second-mom” phenomenon: As the oldest daughter you might get to babysit your younger siblings a lot. That’s how it sometimes works in bigger families. In every illustration I tried to show the Cutes’ innocence and playfulness.
Children can be very silly. So I think of what they’d do with a balloon, like rubbing it over their hair, letting it go into the air, binding it to their ears, popping it, etc. Each page took almost 100 hours to sketch, draw, color on the computer, etc. Every person is hand-drawn and colored in Photoshop. My wife, Celestial, did most of the storytelling. The whole book took a year to finish. Some drawings are based on real events. Sometimes something funny that happened in our lives, comes back in the drawings.
Who should read the book?
Children ages 3 and up. Adults could enjoy it too. With 12 pages of things to search for, kids could be entertained for hours. Not only are we going to make a book, but we are planning on making it a tablet game for the ipad, kindle, and other devices, depending on cost effectiveness. That will be a stretch goal if we make it.
Will you make a sequel?
Yes. We are planning on an entire series of 10 books. We created two new characters for the 3rd and 4th book. The 2nd book will be called “Find the Cutes – Festival Fun” and will have fun search pages about Christmas, Easter, and Halloween, but also about the Tomato Festival in Spain, Songkran in Thailand, and Sinterklaas in the Netherlands. It will also have 12 pages and a story line. We already started working on it.
Are you on social media?
We have a website, www.findthecutes.com, which will be the means of selling our book once it’s updated with a payment system. We are also on Facebook, Google Plus, Pinterest, Twitter, and Tumblr. Feel free to look us up, share our pages, and follow us.
What do you need funding for?
We cannot do this without you. Our dream is to start a search book series that will inspire each child, build family relationships, and become a great product for entertainment. We put hundreds of hours of work into making it happen. Now we need your help to cover costs. This is what we need funding for:
• Production costs – We calculated no immediate reward for the 1,500 hours of artwork and story writing we’ve done. We did all that for free so far, and hope to make enough profit on sales to compensate for the valuable time we put into it.
• Kickstarter/Amazon fees – Approximately 8%-10% of final funding
• Taxes – Self-employed rates apply.
• Advertising – Goes to bookmarks, stickers, business cards, posters, drawing materials, paper, event fees, etc. We already spent a lot on that, without receiving anything back except for name recognition and materials to create the book.
• Printing costs – These rates vary depending on amount ordered, but takes up a lot of funds. You can imagine hardcover books and other materials are costly.
• ISBN Number, copyright registration, etc. – Not cheap, but necessary for any book and company online, but affordable if you help us.
• Shipping & supply – Another large part of it, especially for those who have a reward with “free shipping.”
• Buffer amount – This should be included in any Kickstarter project. This includes money aside for dropped pledges, lost books, refund requests, and errors and miscalculations.
How Kickstarter Works
With kickstarter you are not just buying an item for precise arrival, you are joining us in our personal adventure to make this happen. Kickstarter is about supporting ideas, people, and projects. You support us to help make the dream come true and receive great rewards in return.
• Step 1. Create a Kickstarter account, and determine payment method.
• Step 2. Decide which reward you would like, taking special note of any shipping estimates.
• Step 3. Wait and see what happens! If our campaign is successful at the end of it, then your card will be charged and your reward is secured. If our campaign is unsuccessful, then your card will NOT be charged.
• Step 4. (optional) If you would really like to see this project succeed, then the most helpful thing you could do is help spread the word! Look us up on Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, Pinterest, or Tumblr, and share our work with your friends. We would really appreciate it!
We are not asking for money without giving something back. So here is a list of the great rewards for our backers:
Explanations of Rewards
PDF files: You get all the 72 dpi PDF files of the book through email. Remember they are copyrighted and are not to be distributed elsewhere. Thank you for helping us achieve our goals.
Hardcover book: The complete hardcover book for you (and your kids) to enjoy. Some are signed by the illustrator and writer.
Bookmark: Keep track of where you were. In color, 2 x 7 inches.
Sticker: Put it anywhere. In color, 3 x 3 inches.
Postcard: A mini-version of one of the search page. In color, 7 x 5 inches. Signed sketches: Yes, the illustrator will go through the effort of making exclusive cartoon sketches for you on 8.5 x 11 inch printing paper.
Coloring book: Contains 25 coloring pages and fun puzzles. Front cover in color, 8.5 x 11 inches.
Sketchbook: 18 awesome pages of background on the illustrations and a behind-the-scenes look into the process of creating the book, as well as exclusive sketches and a preview of the 2nd book. Black and white, 7 x 7 inches.
Special thanks: Your name will be mentioned on all the social media pages. We are on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr, and Google Plus.
Hardcover 2nd volume: We have already started the 2nd volume, which is called, “Find the Cutes – Festival Fun.” It will most likely be done by the end of 2014, but you’ll be one of the first to own a copy.
Cutified: This means I, the illustrator, will draw you or someone else you send us a photograph of through email… in cartoon style! It’s way fun!
Poster: Select a search page or other images that you would want to hang on your wall! This way, you can always look at the beautiful artwork. If you select a search page, it might be fun to have people look for the Cutes when they enter your room. In color, vinyl, 36 x 24 inches.
Large car decal: A nice sticker or decal to put on your car. Of course we already have one to show our great product to whoever in the parking lots. In color, approximately 19 x 12 inches.
T-shirts and hats: They look awesome! You can wear the Cute family on your head or on your chest. T-shirts will be available in different sizes.
3 Day tour Southern Utah: Personally meet the illustrator and writer! We live in Cedar City. From here, we can take you to Zion’s National Park, Bryce Canyon, the Grand Canyon, and Las Vegas. Whatever we can squeeze in those days, we will do with you (and your family). You will be able to sleep in an apartment with a bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, and living room. Dinners will also be included. Flights are not included.
What happens if we pass the goal?
If we pass the goal, we will make a stretch goal. We will hire an experience company to make a professional tablet game out of it. The goal is to make something beautiful and fun that keeps getting better. If we pass the stretch goal, we will try to make the next one and provide extra rewards for most backers. These are the stretch goals:
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Our book is finished. We just need the money to print. If we make the kickstarter goal, all printing costs will be funded.
pledged of $7,843 goal
days to go